- "You'll also find something I borrowed from a buddy over at DARPA. It's a portable EMP generator, low-intensity and short range. The bag's shielded, so you can stash your gear in there. But hit the trigger and you'll fry everything around you that uses juice."
- ― Victor Coste describes the Portable EMP to Sam Fisher.[src]
The Portable EMP is an EMP device designed to be both mobile for the user, as well as effective against nearby electrical objects.
The Portable EMP with a short range, low intensity EMP generator that is capable of disabling electronics without damaging them, similar to he Optically Channeled Potentiator. When activated, the Portable EMP disables electronics in a large radius around the player and stuns enemies. The player may then use the darkness and confusion to make quick escape - or launch an attack. Once used, the enemies will be alerted to the player's presence, whether they are affected by the EMP blast radius or not.
- The backpack that contains the Portable EMP is a modified version of the 5.11 Tactical® Select Carry Sling Pack.
- As there would be little use for the backpack after the massive EMP attack on Washington D.C. near the end of the campaign, Fisher discards it for a black bulletproof vest given to him by Victor Coste.
- The Portable EMP equipped by Archer and Kestrel are much smaller than the one Sam carries, suggest the Third Echelon has its own varient of such equipment.
- Since the Third Echelon stole the EMP technology from Russia, its possible Voron has comparable equipment.
- Enemies affected by EMP will be stunned for a brief period, only the enemy close by will be affected, this may lead to alarm in some occasions.