Were you looking for the Kalinatek building, the setting this level takes place?
Nuclear Power Plant (PS2)
|Game||Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell|
|Date||1st November 2004 / 01:24 Hours|
|Location||Kalinatek Building, Langley, Virginia|
|Depicts||Georgian Information Crisis|
|Objective||Recover the Encryption Key.|
Recover the encryption key.
Russian mercenaries have begun to destroy evidence of Georgian activities at Kalinatek. Before her detection in the network, Grímsdóttir discovered that a technician named 'Ivan' is hiding in the building. Ivan possesses an encryption key that could help Third Echelon find Nikoladze.
- Infiltrate Kalinatek.
- Disarm the bomb planted in the Archives Room.
- Restore power to the fire door circuit by accessing the fuse box behind the auditorium.
- Access Kalinatek's fire emergency system to open the fire doors surrounding Ivan.
- Find Ivan before the Russian Mafiosos kill him.
- Take Ivan's encryption key. Leave Ivan behind for the FBI.
- Rendezvous with the Osprey for extraction.
- Ivan is on the fifth floor.
- The keypad code for the back door on floor 3 is 1250.
- The keypad code for the archives department is 33575.
- Security door keypad code is 97531.
- Main article: Data stick/Kalinatek
Third Echelon computer specialist Anna Grímsdóttir was able to hack into Kalinatek's mainframe through a PC at the CIA Headquarters where the information was being streamed. Panicked, Vyacheslav Grinko's mercenaries proceeded to destroy all evidence of their activities - this includes killing their own computer technicians in an effort to keep them from talking.
Sam Fisher infiltrated the building from a parking deck on the opposite side of the street from the Kalinatek building. Irving Lambert explains to Sam that his mission "is a man named Ivan." Ivan is one of Nikoladze's computer technicians, and Fisher needed to find him before Grinko's men kill him. Fisher asks why they are killing their own men, to which Lambert explains that "it's all evidence." Fisher makes his way through the parking deck and up a flight of stairs to the upper level, both levels have Grinko's mercenaries patrolling them. After sneaking through, Fisher is able to navigate to the Kalinatek building by climbing around a crane stationed between the two buildings. Fisher gets to the top of the Kalinatek building and rappels down the side of walls, finally entering the building through a skylight set up that connects the parking deck to the Kalinatek building.
Fisher infiltrates the building and arrives to a broken elevator he's able to move through to the opposite side. As he enters into one of the office rooms, he finds two computer technicians trapped by two wall mines. Fisher disarms the wall mines and the technicians reveal to him that there is a bomb set up in the Archives Room. The bomb is set up on his level and is rigged to the gas pipes, meaning that it would extensively destroy much of the building. Fisher quickly navigates through the burning building and wall mines set up and eventually is able to defuse the bomb before it detonates.
Sam eventually located and found Ivan, a computer technician whose data key provided crucial information on Nikoladze's plans as well as his possible location. After retrieving the data key, Fisher proceeded to head towards the extraction point located on the top of the Kalinatek building. He took the elevator to the top floor and discovered that the rooftop - which was still under construction - was covered with Grinko's mercenaries.
Fisher made his way through the mercenaries and eventually made it to the location the Osprey was located. Vernon Wilkes, Jr. was waiting with the Osprey, trying to cover Fisher with his sidearm, however, during the gunfight Wilkes is shot and fatally wounded by gunfire from the Russain Mafiosos guarding the helipad. Fisher neutralized the mercenaries and climbed up to the helipad to the Osprey where he and Wilkes extracted. Wilkes, however, died on the Osprey from his wounds.
The FBI later seized the Kalinatek Offices and captured the few surviving mercenaries left alive at the building, and brought them in for interrogation. Later news reports indicated that the feds took full control of the Kalinatek Offices in it's efforts to uncover further evidence of Nikoladze's terrorist activities against the United States.
- Main article: Kalinatek/ Transcript
The encryption key retrieved from Ivan allows Grímsdóttir to trace a data stream back to a nuclear power plant on the Kola Peninsula of Northern Russia, American Intelligence's first solid lead to the wherabouts of Kombayn Nikoladze.
- This is the first level in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell that wall mines appear in, and the first time that wall mines appear in the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series.
- The Ark is mentioned again in this level; the player learns that the mercenaries destroyed all evidence alluding to the Ark while listening in on their radio chatter.
- If the player talks to Junior Wilkes before they leave the insertion point, Wilkes will tell Fisher to "be careful." Fisher replies by saying, "I've already got a mother, Wilkes."
- In one of the offices in the Kalinatek building, there is a hoop and little basket balls that can be thrown by the player. The room is located in the small 'security station' before the metal detectors.
- The metal detectors will activate if the player walks through them, alerting any nearby guards of the player's presence.
- This is the third, and last, appearance that Vernon Wilkes Jr. makes in the Splinter Cell series.
- The fish tanks in the Kalinatek building can be shot and the water will drain to the point of the bullet insertion into the tank. Any more shots into the glass will shatter it and the water will pour out on the sides - the fish will flap around until they disappear.
- After the section where a cutscene triggers (showing a technician being killed by a mercenary), it is possible to knock out one of the mercenaries which will prompt the other to walk over to the wall mine (that was just activated) and take it off the wall. The wall mine may or may not explode, as the mercenary will take it off regardless.
- If Ivan is killed, Lambert will get mad at Fisher and a Mission Failure will occur. This will trigger regardless of if the player has retrieved the encryption key from Ivan or not.
- This mission contains the highest wall mine count out of all the other levels in the game. Interesting enough, this is also the first level wall mines are introduced in.