|Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series information|
|Appears in||Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist|
Fourth Echelon (also known as 4th Echelon, abbreviated as 4E) is a "blacker than black" clandestine special operations and counter-terrorism unit that answers solely to the President of the United States. Commissioned by President Patricia Caldwell, the unit is mandated to deal with terrorist threats to U.S. interests.
The unit's commander is former Third Echelon Splinter Cell Sam Fisher, who was instrumental in foiling an assassination attempt on President Caldwell orchestrated by the rogue Third Echelon director Tom Reed. Former Third Echelon chief technical advisor Anna Grímsdóttir, who previously worked closely with Fisher when he was with Third Echelon, serves as the unit's technical operations control officer. Added to the unit are former CIA operative and new 4E operative Isaac Briggs and computer hacker Charlie Cole, while Andriy Kobin becomes a source of intelligence inside holding cell.
The unit has no permanent ground base. It operates out of the Paladin, a large military transport aircraft repurposed as a stealth airliner for their mobile headquaters.
Fourth Echelon's first and present assignment is the disruption of a planned terrorist action of escalating attacks against US interests known as the Blacklist which masterminded by the group of 12 terrorist called The Engineers, with shutting down the elements of Third Echelon being a secondary objective.
To gather intelligence, the unit deployed the Spider-Bot.
After foiling the Blacklist attacks, the team returned to operational status. Their next mission was to hunt down rogue agents who had stolen 100 pounds of Uranium from Russia. Fisher chased their leader, who died in an accident. They were pulled from it to extract computer programmer Igor Kasperov. Next they rescued his daughter from the "Snow Maiden" and pulled him from Peru. Fourth Echelon then stopped the Russian oligarchies' plan to blow up a Saudi oil refinery with a nuclear weapon.
- Sam Fisher - Commander/Field Operative
- Anna Grímsdóttir - Technical Operations Officer
- Charlie Cole - Computer hacker/Technology Officer
- Isaac Briggs - Field Operative
- Andriy Kobin - Captive/Source of Intelligence/Spare pilot
- In an operational capacity, Kobin is treated as a member of Fourth Echelon, even if everyone else officially acknowledges him as a captive.
- Apart from Sam, Grim, Charlie, and Briggs, all Paladin crew members and Kobin wear a one-piece jumpsuit.
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
- Splinter Cell Blacklist Spider-Bot
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist Aftermath